Flashback Friday: Food Prep 2019

 Hello, world!

Man 2019 feels like it was forever ago now. It just now dawned on me while at the gym that I'll be 20 in a few short days (yeah Thanksgiving Day this year). Time sure does fly! Anyway since I started this blog in my second year of college Flashback Fridays for a while will probably consist of catching you guys up on what I've been doing. 

Food Preparation was one of my first classes and I loved it! Not only did we get to learn about food, and how to make food, but we actually made the food! I almost never had to bring a lunch that day because our labs were basically a Food Network show. I also loved my professor (we'll call her Professor M). This wasn't Professor M's first time teaching, but I believe it was her first time officially being a professor. She was very nice, but also made us work for our grade which I can definitely get behind. I remember the 3 or 4 days before exams just reading over my study guide over, and over, and over again because I actually wanted to do my best in this class. Just goes to show that the classes you enjoy make a big difference.


Dijon Chicken and Apple Pie (that I tired to get fancy with; can you see the heart on the crust?)

Now you might be wondering, "Autumn this is great and all, but what did you actually learn?" I'm glad you asked imaginary audience! This class took us through the basics of food and making it into a meal. I had drilled into my head what carbs, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids were; by the way, those are all your macronutrients (the major building blocks). I can tell you how tender a piece of meat is just from looking at the color (purple meat is the most tender). Oh, and bread, it's a lot more complicated than it looks.

For my final presentation, I was supposed to do a report on a country, its food history, and then prepare a meal from that country. So, I chose France and took the opportunity to make something I've always wanted to make, ratatouille! It was fun since I love learning about different cultures and I got to make food that I thought was super hard to make and it wasn't! I'll leave the link down below to the recipe I used. My one suggestion though would be that you use more tomato sauce, but maybe that's just me! I love tomatoes!

Things I learned while doing my presentation:

  • France has its own version of MyPlate called Programme National Nutrition SantÉ (National Health Nutrition Program)
  • The French don't snack as much as Americans although their rate of disease is still quite high (but again not like America's)
  • A lot of French food is inspired by Italian cuisine
  • There are multiple versions of ratatouille all over Europe
The (very) blurry picture of my ratatouille 


Anyway, this was a great class and I definitely have no regrets about taking it! It was a great start to my first semester in college!

Ratatouille Recipe I used: Click me for a treat!

Comments